Bringing the Classroom and Workplace
What is the
Vocational Education Cooperative?
The Vocational Education Cooperative at West Chicago Community High School provides meaningful work experiences for students with cognitive and/or physical disabilities.
The program’s purpose is to provide varied training opportunities so that each student may achieve their optimum level of independence. Participant wages can be paid by the employer directly or through our STEP grant (Secondary Training Experience Program). These work experiences (in-school or on-site) reward many graduates with full time competitive employment.
Vocational education emphasizes the importance and reward of work. Students are trained in general work habits such as responsibility, independence, and positive work attitude.
* Loyal and dedicated workers
* Provides a pool of part-time workers from which to select permanent employees at a later date
* Setting a positive example to the business community
* Diversified work force
* Job coaching is provided at no cost to the employer
Learns to assume responsibility and acquire good work habits
* Broadens knowledge of the working world in their own community
* Accumulates school credit as well as a paycheck
* Develops new marketable work skills
* Ace Hardware
* AMC Theatres at Cantera
* Ball Seed
* Burger King
* Central DuPage Hospital
* Dominick’s Finer Foods
* Kammes Century 21 Realty
* Planter’s Palette
* Sonny Acres
* Trinity Lutheran Preschool
* United Parcel Service
* West Chicago Park District
* West Chicago Police Department
* West Chicago Public Library
* Wood Glen Nursing and Rehab Center
"The students who are participating in this program are fantastic workers! Their personal growth and confidence really shows in the way they deal with customers."
Carol Briner, Manager at Jewel/Osco
We are students from the Vocational Education Program at West Chicago Community High School.
What Does Your
Any or all of these jobs can be done on your site or ours!
West Chicago Community High School
326 Joliet Street
West Chicago, IL 60185
Michael C. Koulos
Sandra K. Chavez
Director, Special Education